How to help others get help
- Show your support
- Ask what you can do to help
- Ask if your friend/family member is getting the treatment that he/she wants and needs
- Reassure your friend/family member that you still care about them
- Support your friend/family member’s health behaviors
- Take care of your self
- Talk about mental health
- Know how to connect people to help
- Communicate in a straightforward manner
- Discuss the topic when and where the person feels safe and comfortable
- Educate others about mental health to reduce the stigma
Things to say
- I know you have a real illness and that’s what causes these thoughts and feelings
- I may not be able to understand exactly how you feel but I care about you and want to help
- You are important to me. Your life is important to me
- You might not believe it now, but the way you are feeling now will change
- You are not alone in this. I’m here for you.
- Talk to me. I’m listening.
Things not to say
- It’s all in your head
- We all go through times like this
- You have so much to live for, why do you want to die?
- Just snap out of it. Look on the bright side
- You will be fine stop worrying
- Here’s my advice…..